Friday 24 January 2014

Documentation Process and Reflection : Photographic Composition

Monday 20th January

In today's lesson with Jane we looked at the art of Photographic composition. Jane instructed us to focus  upon a specific subject when composing our picture and for that to be the main focus of the image. We were given a square frame each and sent outside to capture and compose several interesting images. I used my iphone to capture the three close ups and three distant shots. I did find when I took each picture it a little challenging to hold the frame exactly still because I was so focused upon finding the subject. This led to a few of my images being blurred or ever so slightly out of focus.







When taking the close up shots I found this more interesting because I felt I could find more detail within my subject and it enabled me to find more meaning in the image than I had done before. There was a paving stone on the floor with cracks running through I was drawn to it because it looked as though it was being torn apart. When I first captured the image I did not use the frame to see what effect it would have on the picture. I found that when I did not use the frame I seemed to loose the focus upon the original subject .When I looked at the image I found that my eye was being drawn to several subjects distancing my gaze from my original  chosen subject .However when I used the frame I found that I was able to focus specifically on the subject in the exact way  I had wanted to when I had first encountered it.




Jane looked through the various images we had captured and she advised us that the subject we are trying to capture does not always need to appear centrally within the image. Jane suggested to play around with the placing of the subject to place it in the third of the picture makes the position of the subject more interesting and engaging. We briefly discussed the photographic term 'Golden Triangle' which is when you imagine three triangles dividing up a picture it allows you to create the perfect composition.





The simple aspects of photographic composition we were taught in class have made me consider that  as we document our work I want to take particular stills of my solo project to create a composed image that can reflect a very specific part or a moment of reflection in my piece. I feel that these composed images If I use them will help to build the journey of the performance itself but also the process of creating this performance







No comments:

Post a Comment