Friday 31 January 2014

Documentation Process and Reflection : learning how to document

Monday 27th January 

In our class with Jane we were given the task of watching some of the third year open project performances and finding different ways of documenting these productions . The first performance we watched was "Geek Speak" which was a piece that looked at embracing your inner geek and not feeling ashamed about that part of your personality. There was a section within the piece where the performers lived out their fantasies of having a date with a Star Wars character. I had an idea for documenting this part of the performance I would shoot short clips of that scene and use a split screen technique at particular moments . I feel this would help to frame particular moments to help emphasise the comic and absurd encounter the audience experience as the performers go on these imaginary dates. 


There was an installation piece that took place within the dressing room. The piece explored the seduction and dependency that performers have on fame .I thought if I was to document the piece I would take lots of stills to capture different areas of the installation to explore and examine the different stages that these characters experience in their journey through the piece. I would also consider using a surveillance camera to document the piece to illustrate the obsessive and compulsive behavior of the performers . The task we were set I found useful because it made me consider numerous and many different forms of documentation . I still feel I need to gain greater experience with working with new mediums like photography and film footage which I hope to use a lot in my documentation of my solo. 


No comments:

Post a Comment