Friday 24 January 2014

Documentation Process and Reflection 1

Monday 13th January

I am using this blog specifically to document the process and creation of my first ever solo project. It is an exciting and slightly terrifying prospect but I'm looking forward to the challenges and rewards I will gain on creating this solo performance.

In our first Mondays class after the Christmas holidays we met with Jane Linden to discuss how we have to document our work and simply what documentation is. Jane explained that documentation is needed to create a stable record of past performance because of the ephemeral nature of performance and ultimately any kind of art form.
I feel documentation is essential in order to preserve how the actual piece lived and breathed and how over a course of time it perhaps altered slightly changing the final product. I feel the process part of any performance is rewarding because you can test new ideas out and reject them if they do not work.  The process allows you to undercover new aspects of your performance that you were unaware of and I think when creating my solo I will become aware of new aspects of myself as an artist.

Over the next few weeks with Jane we are looking further into documentation and the debate over whether we should archive performance or simply store this performance within our bank of memories.
As part of Jane's classes we are also learning to get to grips with using iMovie so we can learn to edit and put together a short 3 minute DVD of our solo projects which is a main element that is assessed in the documentation unit. 


The thought of learning to edit film of my own performance seems daunting at the present moment however I feel my solo project is a good place for me to begin to to develop these essential technical skills.














No comments:

Post a Comment