Sunday 13 April 2014

Documentation- Editing and Creating Trailer

In the last two weeks of spring term I have spent many hours creating and editing my trailer of my solo performance. As soon as I received the footage of my performance I watched the footage from both cameras. I tried to initially select footage from each camera that corresponded directly with the dialogue I had written for my voice overs. It was tricky to begin with to find the clips which specifically illustrated what my dialogue was trying to say because I had so much footage to trawl through. I also looked at the various footage I had collected together from various rehearsals throughout the process of creating my solo. I was astonished to see when watching early rehearsal videos how particular elements of those early rehearsals have developed and gained more meaning and importance over the course of the rehearsal period. The mirror is an example of this .The mirror was originally in the early stages of rehearsals used in more of an purely aesthetic or symbolic sense to symbolise my search for my grandmothers identity and how my identity is part of hers. The mirror's role developed towards the end of the rehearsal period with me interacting with the mirror through tender physical gestures as though it was my grandmother. The mirror as a physical object obtained more meaning by the end of my rehearsals because it became my only physical connection to her absent world. I decided to use a clip from rehearsal which shows me experimenting with trying to find different ways of interacting with the mirror and then transition gradually into a close up my performance where I interact with the mirror through a sequence of gestures. Similarly when I discussed my final monologue I decided to use two clips from early rehearsals that showed me performing the monologue whilst sitting and delivering it in different ways and then a smooth transition into the performance where I performed the closing the lines. I decided that the transition from my early rehearsal footage of specific elements to the actual footage of the performance with these specific elements helped to show specifically to my audience the development of particular themes within my performance.







I originally intended to use a piece of footage that showed the pictures continuously playing on the projection screen when discussing the photographs symbolism . However I decided to instead place a selection of photographs of my grandmother alongside my clip of my performance where the projection of the photograph could be seen. I felt that by merging the photographs of my grandmother with the clip of the photos playing on the projection screen helped to introduce my perception that I have constructed of my grandmother to the audience.











Throughout the process of developing and creating my trailer I was in two minds about deciding whether to film an actual interview about the process of creating my trailer to simply to record voice overs for my trailer. As I began to select clips together and incorporate the clips with the dialogue concerning the meaning behind each element in my performance I found that voice overs seemed to fit well with the clips I had chosen. The voice overs were initially difficult for me to record because I had to adjust the sound level at various times because my voice either became too high pitched or low pitched and it was distracting when trying to view the footage. It also took me a while to record the voice over because I was unsure how to deliver my dialogue for trailer. I was not sure if to deliver it in a formal or informal tone. I eventually decided to deliver the dialogue in a informal relaxed tone to make my audience feel invited into my personal attempt to develop a relationship between me and my Grandma.


No comments:

Post a Comment