Thursday 10 April 2014

Documentation- Tutorial to Discuss Trailer for Documentation

Monday 17th March




In my tutorial with Jane Linden we discussed initially the symbolism that she observed seemed to be consciously running throughout my piece. Jane touched on the fact that the photographs of my grandmother seemed to hold a very symbolic and significant meaning in the production and they seemed to actually hold the narrative together. This sense of the photographs being integral to forming the narrative that Jane suggested made me consider that I needed in the actual trailer to discuss how the photographs themselves are integral because they construct this image that I specifically identify as my grandmother. I will also discuss how the photographs are particularly a constant presence during this performance that I long to connect to.

Jane mentioned Roland Barthes ideas on photography that he saw photographs as being a certificate for presence. Barthes believed that every photograph the 'studium' holds obvious symbolism but the significant and symbolic meaning attributed to it is entirely dependent on the individual. The significant and symbolic meaning that the individual attaches  is the 'punctum' which pierces the viewer. Jane suggested to incorporate Barthes ideas on Photograph and apply them to my use of photographs within the piece. I think I will attempt to apply the idea of 'Punctum' in my dialogue when talking about the photographs so I not only talk about the symbolism of the images but also the audiences own individual meanings that they may have attached to the photographs in my piece .

In the tutorial I did discuss at length the symbolism of elements in my piece such as the mirror, scattered envelopes, the continued use of questions which was part of my dialogue. Jane proposed that I could in my trailer discuss the symbolism of each element and refer back to the overall meaning of my performance. I am considering in my trailer that I will discuss the elements like the 'scattered envelopes' individually  because they were truly integral aspects which help me to emphasise my overall message that I am constantly longing to have a relationship with my grandmother.

Jane recommended towards the end of my tutorial that I needed to at some point in the trailer to give a very brief overview or some context to what my performance is about. I think I will begin my trailer by giving a brief summary that discusses my initial idea and the actual concept of the performance. Overall I found my tutorial helpful because I have a stronger idea of how I will start my trailer with a brief overview of my performance. I also have a stronger sense of what I will discuss in the trailer I will specifically focus on the significant elements in the piece like the mirror and relate them back to my overall message for the whole piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment