Sunday 13 April 2014

Documentation- Editing Editing Editing my 10 Minute Video

Friday 20th March

I finally collected all of my footage of my solo performance on Tuesday and since then I have watched  the footage several times to try and get an idea of which camera angle shots will work best for certain aspects of my trailer. The footage from the close up camera angle I found to be very intimate and quite delicate . The intimacy and delicacy of the close up camera angle really captured for me when viewing the footage the tenderness and love I showed towards my Grandma especially in one of the shots where  I gently caress the mirror as though it is her face. There was a shot from the close up camera angle where I begin to  put the envelopes into a pile and write questions on the top envelopes which created a very personal insight for my audience into my almost obsessive longing for my grandmother.
I felt actually that the close up camera angle footage constructs a very intimate and personal journey for my audience to watch and become part of as the performance continues. The intimacy and closeness of the shot where I caress the mirror invites the audience to personally become involved in the story and even to relate their own sense of longing to the longing that I portray on stage.The intimacy of the footage from the close up camera angle really appealed to me and I decided for my whole ten minute DVD of my performance that I will solely use the footage from the close up camera angle.  The intimacy of the close up camera angle footage I think will give my audience a very personal and tender insight and experience as they watch me in this performance attempt to connect to a lost and absent presence in my life.






The editing of my ten minute performance was definitely not as difficult as I first assumed it would be. It was a lengthy process of having to copy the whole footage into a new performance project because clips from parts of my close up camera angle footage took a little longer to transfer over. Once all of the footage was transferred into my new project folder I watched the footage several times to make sure that the transitions were fluid from clip to clip. I also watched the footage back to make sure that all the clips were in the right order and that no clips were out of synch otherwise the audience may become confused over the actual plot of my performance. As soon as I had all the clips in the right sequence I watched my performance again and decided that I definitely needed a title page or title at least at the beginning of the video. I did consider for my title page originally using my actual poster image to introduce the performance however there was a clip in the footage from the stationary camera angle that caught my attention. There was a clip that showed me kneeling in front of the mirror surrounded by the envelopes with my grandmothers image projected above me as the lights slowly came up on the performance space. I decided that this clip would be the opening title clip so my audience could briefly experience and have a glimpse of the whole of my mise en scene. I also wanted to use the clip because my grandmothers image can be seen quite prominently so my audience become immediately aware of this figure and my focus upon her.





I managed to finish editing my ten minute performance by Saturday evening and the process of finalising the video did take a good couple of hours before it was completely ready. When the video was finalised I did watch the whole of my performance and I did feel a mixture of emotions. It was a rather strange experience of hearing my own voice on stage and seeing my little figure moving about.  I felt quite sad at the end of watching my performance on the video because I know my solo performance unit is slowly coming to the end.






No comments:

Post a Comment