Wednesday 26 February 2014

Solo Project - Initial rehearsals and Initial dialogue

Thursday 13th February - Saturday 15th February

In out Thursday class we were sent of with our partner to work on our solo projects . I am working with my friend Jess who I am good friends with we had met on Wednesday and talked through and discussed our initial ideas with one another. This allowed us to gain a sense of what kind of piece the other is trying to make. We are both using mirrors within our piece so we decided that during our Thursday class that we would go in search of mirrors. The first place we stopped of at was the Technical  Office to look in the prop store. I was able to find no mirrors that could be fixed upon a wall however I found a wooden free standing mirror that could be a possible choice. The only issue I did find with the mirror was its height its a bit too short but I think I just would need to test out the projections on to it.










Jess unfortunately could not find any dance mirrors or long mirrors to use in the Tech office so we decided to try B&Q which is only down the road from our halls of residence. When we entered B&Q it was like entering a maze to try and discover the section where the mirrors were stored. Once we found the mirror section I was overwhelmed by the selection of wall mirrors to look at. I found that these mirrors were quite ornate for the performance and where not what I was looking for. There was an oval mirror that caught my eye it had no frame around it and I though it may project a very clear and precise image. I am still keeping that mirror in mind from B&Q but I still feel I need to experiment with the mirror in Tech and ones from home. Jess unfortunately again could not find any mirrors that suited her piece in B&Q so she decided to have a  browse of the Internet to see what mirrors were available.







On our Saturday rehearsal I managed to perform the first few opening lines I have written for my solo project. I positioned the flat in the centre of the stage and I played around with a number of positions from sitting on a chair in front of the flat to kneeling in front of it. The kneeling position I first tried I feel best resembles the sense of longing for my grandmas presence in my life. I feel once I have these projections up and running they will inform my position throughout the piece..Jess recorded me performing these opening lines on our video camera. Jess gave me feedback after performing these opening few lines to her that I needed to project my voice more because partly what I was saying was being lost. This has made me consider whether I should record my actual dialogue and play it during the performance so my voice can be heard. It could be a representation of my own internal thought process. I feel once I have extended my dialogue and tested to see whether the dialogue works well live or recorded then I will make decision on how I am going to perform the dialogue.


The flat that I used during our rehearsal to get a sense of how I would possibly position my mise en scene was perhaps a little to small in scale to fit my mirror. The flat I feel should be wider so it can accommodate my projections and it needs to be white so obviously the projections will be seen on it. I have also considered that I need to possibly project these actual images on to a projection screens. I managed to film these short snippets of me performing these opening lines which is a useful reference for what elements in my piece I can refine and alter next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment