Saturday 15 February 2014

Solo Project : Research Part 2

These last few weeks I have been doing further research into the artists and performers that Nancy encouraged me to look at in our very first tutorial for the creation of my solo project. I have been specifically researching and looking into The Wooster Group's 1976 production 'Rumstick Road' which deals with Spalding Grey's mothers suicide. As I was researching the production in David Savran's book 'Breaking the Rules' I was particularly fascinated by how Grey structured a lot of his pieces around the idea of fragmented pieces of memory and memory itself. This particularly struck me as I feel my own solo piece is veering towards looking at how my own memory and other peoples memories have shaped and controlled my perception of who my grandmother is. The projections and images I specifically am wanting to use of my grandmothers face which I want to be projected on to my own face will show the divide and connection between memory and reality which is another aspect I am interested in exploring






There was a point where Savran in 'Breaking the Rules' discusses the influences for the set of Rumstick Road. Savran quotes and refers  Elizabeth LeCompte thoughts and visions for the set 'taking a still life and rearranging it, repainting the scene from a different angle'. The idea of rearranging the perception of these images that LeCompte did with Rumstick Road inspired me to think of how I will arrange and use these images of my grandmother. There have been numerous thoughts running through my head that I could dissect parts of the last few images of my Grandma so the images only focus on her eye or her lips. It could imply that our relationship is fading away because she is only a construct of my imagination and others memories and photos are only representations from her. As the images become even more dissected it suggests that we cannot have a relationship because she is dead and all is left of her are memories and photographs.


Nancy had remarked in my tutorial that I should specifically read about the projection of Spalding Greys mother Bette Grey on to Libby Howes face. I read the passage where LeCompte dicusses the projection on to Howes face and how it represents how a role is imposed upon a woman. The projection Savran observes creates a sense of illusion 'magic of theatrical conjuration brings her back to life'. In my solo project I want to use a moment similar to this where I want my face to be obscured by the projection of my grandmother's face. This will be a moment where we are finally physically connected to one another and this is the only time I can have almost a moment or connection to her. Savran discussed how the faces of Bette Grey and Libby Howes immediately became disjoined from one another. I know I want to create a similar effect where me and my grandmothers faces meet and we are present together and then we part and once more are absent from each others lives.


Nancy in my tutorial suggested to look at Libby Howes dance she performed in 'Rumstick Road' . Howes  repeatedly beats her hair against the projection screen. Savran described it as keening which is a type of wail of lament and sorrow. Nancy also in my tutorial implied that Howes had repeated domestic tasks of folding a sheet and that I perhaps could implement a similar idea in my performance. I have considered the possibility of perhaps folding laundry during the performance and doing other domestic duties. However I feel that If I did repeated domestic tasks it could look as though I am trying to represent and play my grandma . I have thought of the task of constantly trying to write a letter for her and put into words my feelings for her and the need I have to understand what kind of relationship we would have had.



As part of my research I also looked at Bobbi Baker's series of performances which are entitled 'Daily Life'. Bobbi Baker performs a monologue where she often plays a stereotypical housewife who discusses mundane topics such as doing the weekly shop, looking after the children. Bobbi Bakers monologues explore theses topics in an anecdotal, light hearted manner.  I was interested in the way Baker delivered her monologues as though each word was part of her thought process or a stream consciousness . I feel I want the dialogue in my solo to be similarly a stream of consciousness as though my thoughts will change and alter as I set upon this journey with trying to gain a relationship with my grandmother.






No comments:

Post a Comment