Monday 10 March 2014

Solo Project- Rehearsals and more Rehearsals for My First Showing

Monday 2nd March- Wednesday 4th March


These last few days have been hectic and long due to lengthy late night rehearsals trying to perfect and refine the minutes of performance so far. Even though these rehearsals have been lengthy I feel I have managed to make several decisions such as definitely to continue using the mirror within my piece. I briefly flitted around the idea of not using the mirror because I had so many difficulties with actually being able to obtain it from the props store. However on Wednesday I luckily obtained the mirror from a group of second year CTP students so I got to experiment with implementing it within my piece. I tried different ways of interacting with the mirror from simply watching my own reflection to actually engaging with my reflection by stroking and touching the mirror in different ways and at different paces.  I did consider during these rehearsals my spacial relationship to the mirror. I have decided to sit very close to the mirror to emphasise the intimacy of my piece but also my longing that this mirror can connect me to this other world my grandmother inhabits.




My main aim in these rehearsals was to see if I could reach ten minutes of my performance so I developed a moment during the Monday rehearsal. This moment consisted of me once the prerecorded sounds ended picking up a pile of envelopes and attempting to place them on the projection screen and slowly allowing the envelopes to drop. I feel this moment helps to symbolise how I am always trying to  constantly connect to my grandmother through letters and images which can never truly connect me to her in real life. I did consider that I could actually put stamps on some of the letters and begin to place them into piles to represent my longing to be able to communicate or have a conversation with my grandmother.



I experimented during these rehearsals with trying to get the final image of my grandmother on to my face. This image of my grandmothers face projected over mine will note the ending where we are finally present in one an others worlds. I did struggle with capturing this image throughout my rehearsal because the flat I was projecting the image on was too low. Once I got rid of the flat I used the white curtain to project the image on to. I had to constantly shift from side to side trying to get my face directly in the projectors light so the image was reflected upon me. There were several attempts but I finally manage to get her image projected upon me. It created a very haunting end image for the piece when out two worlds connect and collide.





No comments:

Post a Comment