Sunday 9 March 2014

Solo Project- Rehearsals for First Showing

Friday 28th February- Saturday 1st March

My rehearsals over the last weekend were fairly hectic with me trying to run through my piece and add in technical elements such as lighting and projections. In my Friday rehearsal I experimented with using a floor projector and projecting onto flats and the back wall itself. When the projected images hit the flat parts of the image are lost and I found that what I wanted to be focused on was lost because of the flats size. I then practised projecting the image on to the back wall and I discovered I was able to get the whole image in view for my audience. This has made me think that I will use the back wall to project my images onto. The original slide show I had made that I used on Friday the transitions between each slide were too fast meaning the slide show had ended within five minutes of my rehearsal.I decided that I needed to lengthen the transitions of each slide or add more slides to the presentation so it ends within ten minutes. The smooth transitions of the projections is essential because I want to construct for my audience the impression of my grandmother through these images that I specifically identify her character with.


The prerecording I had made of of the questions that I would use in my performance I tested out within the space to see it how it actually sounded within the piece. I also practised writing the questions out alongside the audio of the questions being read to see how many questions I could write within the three minutes. I performed the action of writing the questions at a fast pace and a slow pace to see which one had the most the impact for this section of my performance. The fast pace that I used when performing these questions seemed appropriate because it symbolised the urgent longing that I display in this piece to build some kind of relationship with this woman. The fast pace of me writing these letters works well with the fast pace of the recording because I feel it illustrates the sense of how this process of trying to share these moments with Grandmother is in a constant stream of consciousness.



In my Saturday rehearsal I managed to run through my piece from the start and I initially experimented at the beginning of the piece with stroking the projected image of my grandmothers face and simply staring at her image. I have decided to incorporate these moments into the opening of my piece so I can express my longing and fascination with this woman I have never met. These initial moments that I am experimenting with in the piece help to I think show a tender soft relationship growing between me and ultimately these images that I have of her. I found that in the rest of my rehearsal I found moments where pieces of dialogue really seemed to fit in the direction of where my piece Is going. During the middle sections where the prerecorded questions play Intentionally towards the end of the recording I ask my grandmother questions about her death. There was a question 'Did you know it was goodbye?' which really resonated with me the most. I have decided that once the prerecorded questions end I will return to the projection screen and say 'Did you know it was goodbye ?'. I feel this line illustrates my own sense of grief that I have lost this relationship I should of had.





I also found in my Saturday rehearsal that I struggled where to take my dialogue next . I decided to repeat my monologue that begins 'A Thousand Words…' at the end as well to illustrate my main point about my piece that I am always in search and longing to have this relationship with my grandmother. It is like an endless cycle that I am emotionally trapped in.

No comments:

Post a Comment